Saturday 12 May 2012

The Cats of Princes Avenue

Cyril

Cyril

first blog!! eeekk

Hi guys, I have never done this before so bear with me while I get to grips with it! :)

Basically I have started this blog because I had an awesome idea for my photography.  I am currently studying BTEC Level 1 in Photography. Photography has become a great passion in my life and I like to capture photos of scenes we pass by everyday without noticing becuase we are all so busy with our hectic lives we miss what is right in front of us :)

I am a cat person through and through and to be honest probably am a crazy cat lady but I don't care!! haha
I have one cat called Rambo he is 3 years old and looks like a baby black bear - he has his teenage attitude at the moment!!

Seriously though where I live there are so many cats and I thought it would be cool to capture pictures of the cats down each street off Princes Avenue Hull - they have their own world, existence among us and most humans don't notice.
I will be taking these photos over a period of time, I wont be chasing the cats down the streets or anything or distressing them just a quick shot I would not want to cause any distress.
I will also try not to show what is obviously peoples homes as much as I can.

I am going to take pictures of the cats of Princes Avenue and create collages/prints of each street with the photos of the cats I have taken photos of.
I will upload photos of cats from each street I have took their photo.

I am hoping fellow animal lovers/cat lovers local and far away will enjoy the photos I take.
I recently went to an exhibition at art link for take me to the kittens please see link
http://www.takemetothekittens.com/
D Jun-Yu Low inspired me to make this happen.

Princes Avenue is a popular cafe/bar/restaurant area in Hull and theres a number of streets that lead onto the avenue, I live off one of them, theres 11 streets in total;

Welbeck street
Thoresby street
Clumber street
Belvoir street
Blenheim street
these then lead onto other streets
Wharncliffe street
Perth street

There is also The Avenues off Princes Avenue much larger houses but I thought I would just concentrate on the streets above at this time.

I will upload the photos and keep you guys updated as I go along. I got started today with my photos, the weather was a lot better today so more cats were out!! They don't like rain, just like us!!
I'm hoping once the weather gets warmer I will be able to get more photos.

If I get enough I am hoping to put an exhibition at Dove House Hospice in October with all proceeds going to Dove House and Hull Animal Welfare Trust.
Hull Animal Welfare Trust help rehome animals in the area and also help any animals in any way they can, they never put a animal down unless its the right thing to do for them.
They supported me with my cat Cyril with his many vet visits and were always supportive with Cyrils wellbeing and always at the other end of the phone when I needed to talk (Leah was so understanding and helped me through)
http://www.hullanimalwelfare.co.uk/

My photos at the top are of Cyri Christmas 2011, I got him from Animal Welfare 3 years ago he was my best friend and was always at my side. Cyril sadly passed away Friday 9th March 2012, he was an old man and kept going as long as he could. I miss him loads, he now rests overlooking the sea.

This project is dedicated to Cyril and all cats out there.

The following photos are photos which I took today, the first of many!!

Hope you enjoy and any comments would be appreciated.

Until next time

Stephanie x x 

24 comments:

  1. Go to one of my fellow bloggers. http://www.longrider.co.uk

    Search in categories on rhs midway down page for cats. Big cat lover

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vienna Cat Cafe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKAZioSYWRg

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous cat x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have any pics of Rambo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi yes I will get some put on here for you :)

      Delete
  5. Welcome to the blogosphere Steph.

    I haz two katz.



    PS Your dad sent me over to wish you well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos, Stephanie: and a nice project idea. Good luck with the project, and with your first blog, and life and everything.
    (Your Dad sent me here as well, but he didn't know I like cats...) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha ok looks like my dad has been busy! thanks for the support :)

      Delete
  7. Steph, Nice pics, keep it up girl.
    Winston Churchill once said
    Dogs look up to us,
    Cats look down on us,
    But pigs treat us as equals

    Snap some pigs Stephanie, Very interesting animals and can be quite affectionate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi thanks, weather is against me at the moment!!

      Delete
  8. Best of luck with it, I love cats and looking at pics of cats.
    Your Dad sent me too, but he doesn't know he sent me :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Stephanie,

    Your dad directed me to this site - what a pleasant surprise. I'm a cat person too!

    Beautiful photographs. They capture the unique personality of each individual cat.

    Good luck with the project, your photography and your blog.

    Best wishes,

    Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. “In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.” · Terry Pratchett

    Nice Pix -I keep meaning to load up the Voigtlander Bessamatic again too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha love that quote
      I found this definition from urban dictionary for cat
      A quite pleasant furry creature that vaguely resembles a meatloaf. Cats are the most intellectually superior creature on Earth. They are particularly adept at training human beings to do their bidding, and spend 18 hours a day on average apparently sleeping. What they are really doing is coming up with ways to take over the Earth while still retaining humans to make that yummy cat food for them. If cats had opposable thumbs, they, not us, would be the dominant force on this planet.
      "Is that a meatloaf???"
      "No, it's my cat!"

      Delete
  11. These are very cute photos and show off just how adorable little furry kitties, even full grown ones, can be. I'll check back from time to time to see new photos as they get posted. Very good blog and photos, both - best of luck with it !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice pics,your dad also directed me here, we have seven cats living with us.
    Best Wishes
    John Gibson

    ReplyDelete
  13. Steph, wrote a message on your blog but seemingly didnt do it correct so here goes again. Wondeful tribute to Cyril and lovely photographs you are becoming a very talented photographer.I lived down the Avenues 25 years ago and there were always cats sat on windowsills, sunny doorways, garden walls and under cars , especially mine I always had to be very careful! Something to think about are cats attracted to the area or cat owners?Donna xx
    p s Cat ladies are great (i was one myself but dont tell Molly)xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hiya, would be a good thing to research and see why there are so many round here.
      haha dont worry molly wont hear a word x

      Delete